COVID-19: despite current events, we're open and ready to help. Stay safe!
Call us now on: 0800 074 6918

Dealing with HM Inland Revenue


    Originally a separate organisation, HM Inland Revenue was merged with HM Customs and Excise to form HM Revenue and Customs.

    The Inland Revenue area of HM Revenue and Customs is a major department in the British government, responsible for collecting money from individuals and businesses through a variety of taxes.

    Some of these means include income tax, corporation tax, capital gains tax, inheritance tax, national insurance contributions, petroleum revenue tax and stamp duty.

    There are some important areas to consider when dealing with HM Inland Revenue to ensure that you act in a correct and lawful manner.

    Reporting a Change in Name or Address
    It’s very important to inform HM Inland Revenue of a change in name or address. HMRC offers an email service which is quick, easy, safe, secure and immediately acknowledged.

    However, if you’re registered for Self Assessment Online, changing your business name or address, you’re leaving the UK or been given alternative, specific instructions, for contacting HM Inland Revenue, this method will not be acceptable.

    Reporting Other Changes Which May Affect Your Tax
    If there your income or circumstances should change, they amount of income tax you need to pay may be affected.
    It’s important to inform HM Inland Revenue in these circumstances, so that they can work out whether you need to pay more or less towards your income tax contributions.

    In order to avoid being charged a large amount at the end of the year or being taxed too much, contacting HM Inland Revenue as soon as possible is strongly advised.

    Some other reasons that would require you to contact HM Inland Revenue are:
    Getting married or entering a civil partnership.
    Beginning to receive a second income.
    Becoming, or ceasing to be, self-employed.
    The start or end of company benefits, such as medical insurance or a company car.
    You begin to receive a state pension or alternative taxable benefits.
    Any savings or rental income should increase or decrease.
    Contacting HM Inland Revenue on Behalf of Someone Else
    It’s possible to deal with HM Inland Revenue on behalf of someone else, perhaps because they suffer from an illness, disability or struggle with English.

    Asking for general information will not require proof of identity, such as requesting a form, or a general enquiry. However, further information will require proof of identity.

    If further information is required, the person you are acting on behalf of will need to confirm that they are who you say they are and will be asked several questions relating to tax affairs, so all relevant documentation should be at hand.

    When dealing with HM Inland Revenue, they may request for you to give them the number you are calling from, so that they can call you back, so try to make any calls to HM Inland Revenue from the house of the person you are acting on behalf of, as their telephone number may be checked.

    By using our services, you agree to Insolvency Helpline's Cookies Policy.